If your doctor has ordered an MRI, there are probably a lot of questions running through your mind. Rest assured this testing is done to ensure your health is always at its best. This imaging service looks at your bones and joints, the heart, and other muscles to diagnose trouble before it brings you down. Here are a few more important facts about advanced MRI imaging in Toms River that you might want to know.
· MRI stands for Magnetic Resonance Imaging. This imagery uses magnetic fields combined with radio waves to collect images of the inside of your body so the physician can diagnose and/or treat certain medical conditions.
· The MRI is sometimes scary for the patient, especially those with claustrophobia. However, the option to use an open MRI is available for those patients and it easies much of the fear.
· There is a magnet in the MRI that creates a magnetic field 4000 times stronger than that of the earth. How’s that for powerful tools that can help your health in so many ways?
· An MRI scan can be used to identify a tumor or unusual growth within the body.
· You cannot use any type of metal or electronic device near an MRI scanner because it can disrupt the radio waves used to collect images.
· There is no radiation involved in an MRI scan.
· The amount of time that it takes to complete the MRI test varies from one patient to another. Some are quick, taking only 10 or 15 minutes while some take an hour or two or more. The purpose of the scanned affects the duration that it will take to complete.
· The first MRI was performed on July 3rd, 1977 on a live patient. It has been a part of the medical world ever since.Read More →